1. Building "green" begins with your approach - conventional stick-built or state-of-the-art modular. With modular building, your home is custom designed using advanced computer-aideddesign, then constructed in a precision, climate-controlled factory. On "day one" at your building site, your home is 80% complete, dramatically reducing the impact on the environment at your site. Conventional stick-built homes, by comparison, will interrupt the ecosystem for an average of 180 days.
2. Because your home is built in a closed indoor environment, lumber and other materials never get wet eliminating mold and mildew problems. This creates a healthy living condition and clean non-toxic air in your home for your family to breathe.
3. Similarly, building materials are not wasted on site due to faulty workmanship or the inability to accurately measure the exact needs of a project. At Westchester Modular, we purchase materials according to the lengths required for construction. In addition, the use of finger jointed lumber not only conserves natural resources, it also creates straighter and stronger walls.
4. Recycling is a also a major part of Westchester Modular Homes Green Initiative. Drywall scraps are shipped to mills where it is recycled into lime for farming. Cardboard, electrical wire, plywood and other materials are sorted and recycled.
5. Energy Efficiency is another component of Westchester Modular’s Building Green Program. R-19 wall insulation and R-38 ceiling insulation are the start of a highly energy efficient home. Other standard features such as, Andersen 400 Series Low E glass windows filled with argon gas, greatly reduce your energy consumption. In turn, the amount of carbons released into our environment is greatly reduced.
6. Westchester Modular Homes is an Energy Star® Partner, and can provide you with an optional Energy Star Certified home. This means your home will be inspected to ensure that it meets or exceeds the Energy Star Standards for energy efficiency. Some examples are: Insulation is inspected, potential areas for air infiltration are caulked and sealed, and plumbing pipes are protected from the elements.
7. Westchester Modular Homes extends Green Building right into the structure of our own manufacturing facility. Recently, all our light fixtures were changed to highly energy efficient fluorescent lights. By making this change, we reduced our Energy Consumption and the amounts of carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen oxides that are released into the air. By removing these pollutants, Westchester’s initiative has the same effect as planting 27 trees, removing 18 cars from the road and saving 11,255 gallons of gas each year.
8. Water, another valuable resource, is also on our Green Agenda. Westchester Modular Homes now offers its customers the option to select water-saving faucets, shower heads and commodes which greatly reduce the amount of water consumption in your home on a daily basis without reducing your quality of life.
9. By nature, modular homes are among the best engineered and sturdiest homes built. As a result, they’re extremely quiet to live in - again, lessening their environmental impact. Tight, precise construction keeps your family, warm and away from harmful toxins in the air.
10. You can elect to build an even "Greener" home if you opt to have your home LEED Certified. Westchester Modular Homes and our Independent Builder will work together to provide you with a LEED Certified home at the level of your choice.
So let’s get started on custom designing a Westchester Modular Home for you today with over 60 designs to choose from. We can also take your plans and truly individualize your home. Either way, your new home is backed by our 10-year warranty. And you’ll be living more green... from day one.
CLICK HERE for more information on Westchester Modular's Green Building Initiatives