Are you considering your home-building and home-buying options? More and more buyers are discovering the benefits of modular homes in Orange County, NY. The choice offers flexibility, savings and high-quality construction not found among other options.
Westchester Modular Homes, Inc. has been offering the benefits of modular homes for more than 30 years. We construct homes in a climate-controlled factory with a team of skilled employees that operates year-round. Our modular construction allows for cost control, efficiency and timely delivery. As your premier home builder in Orange County, NY, we offer the following helpful guide to building a custom home in this desirable region.
Living in Orange, Sullivan, Ulster or Rockland County, NY
Residents of this area of the state enjoy proximity to NYC while also benefiting from smaller-town living. Homeowners are set for life when they build a home in Sullivan County, NY or the surrounding area. The region offers a friendly atmosphere filled with culture. It’s ideal for those who want to easily access all the career and cultural opportunities offered by New York City but don’t want to live along the crowded city streets.
A custom home in Ulster County, NY or one of the neighboring counties offers the homeowner locally grown products, home-town pride and beautiful scenery. The Hudson River is attractive, and people on the street will speak to you for more than just directions.
The local restaurant scene is filled with exciting options too. The area’s proximity to NYC gives access to many restaurants established by world-renowned chefs and top-quality chefs-in-training. Additional cultural and educational opportunities include art shows, film festivals and a plethora of liberal arts colleges.
Homeowners in the area enjoy all these attractions at a fraction of the cost of living in other parts of the country. They can also enjoy quick access to the thrills of the Big Apple while living in an area with a lower crime rate and more spacious surroundings.
In short, to build a home in Ulster County, NY is to build a home in one of the most desirable parts of the country.
Resource Guide for Moving
If you’re considering a modular home in Rockland County, NY, you could probably use a few tips on moving to the area. Use the following guide with seven tips to make your transition to the region as smooth as possible.
1. Prep for packing: The time before a move is a good time to purge your home of anything you no longer need. Remember, donations are tax-deductible! Once you pare down your belongings to the ones you want to take with you, gather supplies. Unless your movers will be packing for you, you will need an abundance of boxes, packing tape, labeling supplies and protective wrapping.
Your local grocery and retail stores are often good sources of free boxes. Simply ask when would be a good time to pick up empty boxes after the store employees have stocked their shelves for the day.
As you pack, don’t forget to label every box. Including details will be helpful when unpacking. For example, “plates and glasses” is more helpful than “kitchen.” A permanent marker is a simple solution to label each box. You may also want to consider buying color-coded labels for your boxes. For example, a yellow label could indicate the box goes in the kitchen, while all blue-labeled boxes go in the garage.
2. Prep for movers: Make a comprehensive inventory of your belongings. Determine how many pieces of furniture and how many boxes you will be moving into your modular home in Sullivan County, NY. When you call movers for estimates, this is the information they will need. Additionally, get rid of any items or arrange for other transportation for anything that moving companies are prohibited to transport. These typically include ammunition, explosives and gasoline.
3. Prep for moving day: To prepare for the day you move into your modular home in Sullivan County, NY, pack an essentials bag. Include a change of clothes, your toothbrush and other essential toiletries, electronics and chargers. Keep these with you for easy access while the rest of your belongings are in transit. This “emergency kit” can make your transition a lot easier.
4. Prep for utilities: Contact your local utility companies to make arrangements for your services. Common TV and internet providers in the NYC area are Verizon, Time Warner and Optimum. Don’t forget to call both your current providers with a shut-off date and your new providers with a start date.
5. Prep for transportation: Metro North is the prime mode of transportation connecting the Hudson Valley with NYC. It extends the MTA subway system. You’ll want to look into obtaining a Metro Card. Several options are available for unlimited passes and refillable cards. Get more information on the MTA website.
6. Prep for documentation: You’ll need to make your move official by changing all your documentation. Notify the post office when and where to forward your mail. Update your voter registration. Notify all parties who will need your new address. Include magazine subscriptions, doctors and other service providers.
If there are any services you will no longer need after your move, like newspaper subscriptions and lawn services, notify providing companies two weeks before your move date.
If you’re moving from another state, within 30 days of moving to NY, you will need to trade in your out-of-state drivers license for a NY license. Visit the NY DMV site for precise instructions on this process.
7. Prep for building: To begin work on your fully customized modular home in Rockland County, NY, contact a trusted builder. Westchester Modular Homes, Inc. offers extensive experience and service excellence. We offer a variety of models and custom homes to suit every homeowner. Our team partners with you to plan the ideal layout and selections to meet the needs of your lifestyle in New York.
Of course, you can build a home in Orange County, NY that’s not modular, but then you would miss out on the many benefits of modular homes in Ulster County, NY. These homes, also known as “system-built” homes, are constructed in sections, or modules, in off-site factories. Once complete, the modules are delivered to the home site for assembly. Construction teams join the modules and complete the remaining five percent of the work on-site to complete the construction of the home.
The modules are installed on a permanent foundation, and the final home is virtually indistinguishable from traditionally-built, or “stick-built” homes. The main differences are the many advantages offered by modular homes in Sullivan County, NY, including the following four:
1. Safety – You’re probably aware that any construction project must adhere to certain local and national standards. However, did you know modular homes in Orange County, NY must follow the very highest building standards? Since modules will be delivered to their ultimate destination, all modular homes must be constructed to withstand transportation. This translates to an even higher level of standards than most stick-built homes. In fact, FEMA reports that modular homes are more resistant to hurricane conditions.
2. Value – This building process offers several savings benefits. The buyer reaps cost savings due to the unique construction process. Since the modules are constructed in a weather-controlled factory, weather cannot cause delays. The manufacturer is also able to purchase bulk quantities of materials at reduced rates. As the builder saves on products and labor, these savings are passed along to the home buyer. As a result, modular homes in Sullivan County, NY offer a typical 5 to 10 percent savings compared to traditional construction.
Buyers also enjoy time savings with modular homes in Ulster County, NY. This type of construction is completed, on average, three months faster than stick-built homes. This means you can start your new life in New York in just six to nine months from the date construction begins.
Owners of modular homes in Sullivan County, NY also enjoy utility savings. Modular homes are built with 15 percent more wood than traditionally built homes. Designed with solid construction and energy-efficiency in mind, modular homes offer savings on utility bills for a lifetime.
3. Eco-friendliness – Modular homes in Rockland County, NY are environmentally friendly. Their construction process is more efficient than stick-built homes. By building off-site, manufacturers are able to keep all waste to a minimum. Plus, modular homes can be disassembled, moved and re-built, making use of 100-percent re-usable features.
4. Customization – Do you prefer a simple ranch or a sprawling multi-level mansion? Virtually anything is possible with modular construction. This process allows each buyer to customize their home to meet their needs. Builders can stack modules, place them side by side or end to end. Custom layouts are easily achieved to suit individual styles and needs.
Modular construction also allows for easy additions down the line. If you outgrow your home in the future, your builder can simply attach another custom module to expand your space. Few things in life offer as much flexibility and personalization as a custom home in Sullivan County, NY.
Planning Your Modular Home
As you begin the modular home building process, it’s important to know what options await you. At Westchester Modular Homes, Inc., we offer a variety of models and customizable homes:
• Colonials – Westchester’s Colonial models offer creative designs. From three-bedroom charmers to sprawling estates, these two-story designs provide spaciousness, privacy and the flexibility to incorporate many individualized options.
• Craftsman – Enjoy a winning combination of old-world craftsmanship and modern building techniques. Attention to detail, ample charm and abundant living space make our craftsman models a top choice. Traditional styles and exceptional quality define these unique modular homes in Rockland County, NY.
• Ranches – Distinguish your Westchester Modular Ranch from traditional with custom exterior treatments. Add reverse gables or a front farmer porch to boost curb appeal. Make your interior soar with cathedral ceilings, fireplaces and wet bars. Pamper yourself with a luxury master suite and other amenities customized to match your lifestyle.
• Capes – Choose to purchase a cape cod with an unfinished second floor for future expansion, or have Westchester Modular build your second floor finished from the factory. Either way, your cape cod will ooze with charm and delightful custom features.
• Vacation – From coastal designs to chalets, our vacation homes are second-to-none. Modular construction allows you to design the ideal vacation spot for your family. Westchester Modular also offers a Rapid Response Team that is ready to respond to coastal families affected by hurricanes. We can help you rebuild quickly and affordably.
• Multi-family – Our designs include unique duplexes, triplex townhomes, condos, apartments and dorms. We offer standard options as a starting point that can be customized to suit your needs. Partner with our Sales and Engineering experts to develop modular units that are perfect for your residential or commercial project.
• Custom – Access our online design center to customize a unique modular home built with you in mind. Choose your flooring, fixtures and features – all at your fingertips. Our team will partner with you every step of the way to ensure your custom home offers the ideal surroundings for you and your family. We make custom home building easy and enjoyable.
These benefits have made modular home building one of the fastest growing segments of the housing industry. As more and more homeowners have discovered these advantages, the number of modular homes has soared. In the last decade, modular home projects have more than doubled.
About Our Builder: Westchester Modular Homes Construction Corp.
Westchester Modular Homes Construction Corp. is one of our builders who is pleased to be a part of a growing industry. As a Westchester builder, they know what buyers want and need. How do they know this? They listen. They learn. As one of the largest homebuilders in Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties, NY, Westchester Modular Homes Construction Corp. expanded to Orange County and surrounding areas. Our builders apply experience and knowledge to each and every modular home they build.
Their track record of success traces back to 1986, with the establishment of our company, Westchester Modular Homes, Inc. Headquartered in Wingdale, NY, Westchester Modular Homes, Inc. was founded to keep up with the rising Northeast-market housing demand.
As a parent company, we knew the advantages that come with building houses in a factory with climate control. We established a process with a skilled and well-trained staff that would operate 12 months per year. The foundation of the Westchester Modular business is built on efficient construction, cost control and timely delivery.
In 2000, Westchester Modular Homes, Inc. developed into an employee-owned company. It has grown into an industry leader based on superior craftsmanship, innovation and customization. Westchester Modular Homes Construction Corp. is proud to be part of a large network of authorized, independent builders.
To help you learn about the benefits of a custom home in Ulster County, NY, we invite you to tour our factory. Our factory tours are offered the first Saturday of every month from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. These tours are available to the public and free. At the factory site, visitors can also tour completely furnished models that open daily.
Get Started on Your Dream Home Today
Why wait? Westchester Modular Homes Construction Corp. makes it easy to build a custom home in Orange County, NY. For personalized service, customized layouts and cost-saving construction, contact our Orange County builder today. They will apply extensive knowledge and superior service to deliver a smooth, enjoyable home-building experience that results in the ideal home for your needs.
To get started, complete a quick contact form, and one of the Westchester Modular Construction Corp. team members will be in touch to answer all your questions and begin your personalized home-building project. We look forward to becoming your custom home builder in Ulster County, NY for life.